Activate your life
Is this course right for me?
This course is perfect for you if:
- You often feel down, depressed, or hopeless
- You have little interest or pleasure in doing things
- You have noticed you are not doing as much as you used to – whether these are things you used to enjoy (including hobbies and interests), things around the home, or important things you’ve been putting off getting sorted
What will I learn?
This course can teach you:
- That we all feel low in mood from time to time, but it can become problematic if we don’t know how to manage it
- Each session will help you understand more about what helps your mood level, and what makes you feel worse
- How to manage your mood better
- How to gradually start making positive changes in your life
- How to maintain your progress and look to the future.
What does the course cover?
Session 1 – Overview
- What is depression
- The vicious cycle of depression
- Constructing problem statements
- Goal setting
Session 2 – Introducing Behavioural Activation
- Breaking the vicious cycle of depression
- Behavioural Activation planning
- Behavioural Activation hierarchy
Session 3 – Implementing Behavioural Activation
- Activity scheduling
- Tips to help schedule activities
Session 4 – Overcoming Barriers
- Overcoming barriers
- Values based activities
- Continue activity scheduling
Session 5 – Review and Relapse Prevention
- Review goals
- Introduction to relapse prevention
- Signposting to other support agencies
Session 6 – Telephone follow up (if required)
How does the course run?
- We invite you to attend 5 sessions of the behavioural activation course
- We will be meeting once a week for 1hr 30 minutes (same day and time each week)
- The sessions are non-interactive – you will not be expected to share your experiences with the group
- We expect around 15-25 people to be on each course
- Between each session you will be asked to go away and practice a skill that will help you to improve your mood
- You will be expected to attend all 5 sessions in order to gain full benefit from the course
- Please be aware that if you miss 2 sessions of the course, you will be discharged from Talk Liverpool back to the care of your GP.
If you are interested in this course you can self-refer to the service by clicking HERE and we will contact you to arrange an initial telephone assessment.